Saturday, April 2, 2016

You Could Be Great

Courage has helped people evolve over time and because of that we've been able to advance ourselves. Without courage we wouldn't try new things and we would be stuck not knowing what we're capable of.

When we talk about courage, we have to mention fear. Fear is one of the most limiting emotions that a human can feel, because it often holds us back from fulfilling our potential. On the other hand, a little bit of fear is also necessary in order to survive and make smarter decisions.

When you're in your comfort zone you feel good, but you don't know what's on the other side of fear or what you can accomplish that you haven't done before once that fear is decreased or eliminated and how much happier you could potentially be.

All of us have comfort zones but how we choose to live with them varies. Some people like to push the envelope while others stay comfortably inside their zones because they don't like feeling fear. How do you feel when it comes to stepping outside of your comfort zone? What are you afraid of?

I'm afraid of a lot of things. I've had a major phobia of bees and wasps for as long as I can remember. My phobia has limited me to the point where I look for wasps before I go outside and follow certain paths to avoid them. I don't like staying outside by myself and at a certain temperature I consider the weather to be "wasp weather." If I even see a wasp flying around outside I'm reluctant to go outside and only go outside if I have to.

In the past I've gone out wearing long clothes in the summertime because it makes me feel safer instead of wearing clothes that expose my skin. All of this is psychological of course, and for most people, they don't think twice before going outside. Over the years this severe phobia has made me realize that I'm letting my fear control my life and I need to take back that control.

The funny thing about this is that I've never actually been stung or had to kill a wasp. The fear I have is based on imaginary situations that have crossed my mind and from the experiences I've had when I was a child witnessing people get stung and watching "My Girl," but either way, the possibility and not knowing how to react in those situations is what makes me so fearful. Internalizing all of that fear has gotten me to this point.

There is a difference between fear that solely makes you afraid and fear that causes adrenaline. A little bit of fear can be good and sometimes even addicting. Negative patterns are addicting as well. If you don't work through fear it can take over your life. Fear that takes over your life can lead to severe anxiety and even depression because having too much fear can decrease your quality of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Leave one.